Missile fire filled the skies over the Middle East on Thursday, ending a short period of calm in a destructive regional conflict. Instead of talking, the United States and Iran exchanged heavy bombings in several countries, bringing chaos back to the area.
American forces attacked about 90 military sites along Iran's coast. The bombings focused on drone bases, missile storage, and supply routes. Explosions were heard in southern port towns like Bandar Abbas, Chabahar, and Jask. Attacks also happened near the Bushehr atomic energy facility.
The number of people hurt and killed quickly grew. Iran's Health Ministry reported that at least 14 people died and 78 were injured in five regions during the two-day American attack. Some casualties were near Ahvaz, and an emergency worker died in an attack on an airfield in Iranshahr.
The destruction also damaged important civilian structures. The Aq Taqeh Khan bridge and train lines connecting Tehran to Mashhad were hit, stopping train travel. This happened on an important day for Iran, as people gathered in Mashhad to mourn Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who died in February.
Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps responded by launching missiles at United States military bases in the Gulf. These strikes targeted a defense system in Kuwait, a communications center in Qatar, and fuel storage in Bahrain.
Neighboring countries were also affected. Jordan shot down eight Iranian missiles, and no one was hurt there. In Kuwait, defense forces stopped a cruise missile, three ballistic missiles, and ten drones, with falling pieces injuring one person.
The attacks started after three cargo ships were attacked in the Strait of Hormuz earlier in the week. American officials said their bombings aimed to stop Iran from threatening this important waterway. About 6,000 maritime workers are stuck in the area.
This violence ended a temporary peace agreement from June. The deal was meant to allow talks about nuclear abilities and reopening the Strait of Hormuz.
United States President Donald Trump announced the deal was over. He said negotiators were wasting their time and ended an exemption for Iranian oil. He stated the American strikes were a response to the ship attacks and warned of worse if it happened again.
Iranian leaders responded strongly. Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf warned that Iran would respond with equal force. He also said the Strait of Hormuz would only reopen on Iran's terms. Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi promised to answer threats bravely.
As the United Nations and Qatar ask for calm, the region is close to a wider war. Israel's Defense Minister Israel Katz warned that his country is ready to strike Iran again if needed. The hope for peace has disappeared, replaced by the sounds of sirens and explosions.